Pfizer has developed medication for quitting smoking. This medication may only be used by adults. One takes 1 mg of varenicline, twice per day. This medication is suitable for oral usage. May people want to quit smoking, but do not know how. In the information leaflet of Champix it is stated that treatments for quitting smoking have a larger chance in patients who are motivated to quit smoking and who receive additional advice and guidance. To help people with the internal motivation needed when quitting smoking, we shortly list the advantages of quitting smoking below.
Reasons for quitting smoking? To get a better feeling!
- 20 minutes after quitting smoking: Your blood pressure and heart rate return to their normal levels. Your blood circulation starts to improve, especially in your hands and feet.
- 8 hours after quitting smoking: The oxygen level in the blood reaches a normal level and the chance of getting a heart attack reduces.
- 24 hours after quitting smoking: Carbon dioxide has left your body. Your lungs start to remove phlegm and other waste from smoking from themselves.
- 48 hours after quitting smoking: Congratulations! There is no more nicotine to be found in your body. And have you noticed how your taste and smell have improved?
- 72 hours after quitting smoking: Breathing becomes easier. Your energy levels increase.
- 1-3 month after quitting smoking: Your blood circulation starts to improve. You feel fitter and can do more.
- 3-9 months after quitting smoking: Your lung capacity increases by 5-10% and your issues with breathing slowly reduce. You cough less, are less short of breath, and your breathing does not squeak as much anymore.
- 5 years after quitting smoking: Your chances of getting a heart attack have halved compared to someone who still smokes.
- 10 years after quitting smoking: Your risk of getting lung cancer has reduced to half of that which a smoker has and the chance of getting a heart attack is the same as that of a person who has never smoked.
Except for health reasons, there also are financial reasons behind quitting smoking. We mention a few of these reasons below.
Reasons for quitting smoking? To save money!
If you smoke 19 cigarettes per day, you save
- A week after quitting smoking, 34.20 euros or a massage
- A month after quitting smoking: 156.80 euros or a gastronomic dinner
- A quarter after quitting smoking: 470,40 euros or a year's subscription to a fitness club
- A semester after quitting smoking: 940,80 euros or a laptop
- A year after quitting smoking: 1881.60 euro or a sunny vacation
15 Minutes 4 Me and Champix
15 Minutes 4 Me increases the internal motivation of people even more and provides support in quitting smoking. Of course, a lot of stress is bound to quitting smoking. Furthermore, people have, according to the Champix leaflet, a larger chance of long-term quitting smoking thanks to extra support and guidance. 15 Minutes 4 Me can provide this guidance. 15 Minutes 4 Me is an online self-help program, which helps you to daily work on yourself for 15 minutes. At the hand of videos and solution focused questions by doctors, we want to help you gain new insights. After having used 15 Minutes 4 Me for one month, stress can be reduced by up to 77% (according to a study published in the Artsenkrant).
Am I stressed?
You can take the free stress test, to see how much stress is combined with quitting smoking in your case. After filling out the test, you will immediately receive your scores and the interpretation thereof.