Depression is not always easy to recognize. In fact, it comes in different forms and with different intensity. For example, you will quickly notice that someone is gloomy if this person also isolates himself socially. With a decrease in motivation, you will often notice this less quickly.
Mental illnesses are more difficult to recognize since you cannot physically diagnose many of the symptoms. These types of illnesses require not only knowledge of the issues, but also an understanding of how the person used to be and how they behave now. It is often thanks to this background knowledge that you can determine that someone is indeed manifesting several depression symptoms.
Depression symptoms? What are symptoms of depression?
To help you recognize depression symptoms in yourself or someone else, we list below some of the most important depression symptoms.
- Persistent gloom, even when something funny happens
- Loss of motivation, not feeling like doing anything at all
- Frequent mulling over what you could do better and what happened to you
- Feeling guilty and worthless
- Isolating yourself from friends and family
- No longer having hopes and dreams for the future
- Having difficulty falling asleep and sleeping through the night
- Possible physical problems such as headaches from constant worrying, eating problems,...
To speak of depression, you do not need to meet all of the above symptoms. However, you do need to have several depression symptoms before we can actually speak of depression. Thus, people with depression may experience different symptoms even though they suffer from the same mental illness.
Depression symptoms? How do you treat depression?
15Minutes4Me.com is an online self-help program, which guides you daily from home in addressing and treating depression symptoms. The program was developed by doctors and physicians and is based on cognitive behavioral therapy. Thanks to solution-focused techniques, the program helps you understand your depression symptoms and how to address them. This can cause your depression to decrease and help you avoid suffering from depression in the future.
Would you like to know what depression symptoms you suffer from and how they affect your daily life? Then take the free depression test here!