Just like with other illnesses, there also are some diagnostic criteria which need to be met before a migraine may be diagnosed. Below, you will find the criteria per diagnosis migraine. There namely are two types of migraine; each with its own diagnosis. You will therefore find a diagnosis migraine without aura and a diagnosis migraine with aura here.
Diagnosis migraine without aura?
To diagnose something as a diagnosis migraine without aura, at least 5 attacks must comply with the following criteria:
1. The attacks must take at least 4 hours and no more than 72 hours, in case they are left untreated or not properly treated.
2. The headache must
- Be located at one side
- Give a pounding feeling
- Mildly to severely disrupt your daily activities
- Become worse in case of physical exertion or avoidance of physical exertion.
3. The headache must go together with at least one of the following symptoms:
- Being nauseous
- Hypersensitivity when it comes to light and sound.
4. To consider a diagnosis migraine without aura, the symptoms above may not be caused by another issue or have another medical explanation.
Diagnosis migraine with aura?
Except for a diagnosis migraine without aura, there also is a different type of migraine: migraine with aura.
To have a diagnosis migraine with aura, at least 2 attacks must comply with the following criteria:
1. The aura consists of at least 1 of the following symptoms:
- Visual symptoms, such as black spots
- Sensor symptoms, such as tingling feeling
- Temporary disorder in speaking
2. At least 2 of the following symptoms must be present:
- Double-sided visual problems and/or sensory problems at one side of the body
- At least 1 aura symptom becoming more intense for 5 minutes and/or the following-up of several aura symptoms in 5 minutes.
3. Every aura symptom which is experienced, has a duration of about 5 minutes and never is present for over an hour.
4. The headache which is experienced, complies to criteria 1-3 in diagnosis migraine without aura. The headache manifests during the aura or follows up the aura within the hour.
5. The headache cannot be caused by another disorder or another medical explanation.