Depression is a medical illness, which often enters the life of a person invisibly. It is important to recognize depression early on, because the earlier you recognize it, the easier depression is to cure. Minor to moderate types of depression can be treated with the self-help program 15 Minutes 4 Me. Major types of depression also often require medication on top of that.
Symptoms of depression can, among others, include:
- Depression often gives feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. Somber thoughts about the future and thoughts along the lines of that nothing will ever get better and there is nothing you can do to improve your situation.
- Loss of interest in daily activities. No interest in earlier hobbies, ways to spend time, social activities, or sex. You have simply lost your ability to feel joy and happiness.
- Changes in weight or appetite. Significant weight loss or weight gain - a change of over 5% of the bodily weight in one month.
- Sleep disorders. Either sleeplessness, especially waking up in te early hours of the morning, or oversleeping (also known as hypersomnia).
- Anger or irritability. Being irritated or agitated easily, as well as restless or even violent. Your tolerance levels are low, you are in a mood, and anything and everything annoys you.
- Loss of energy. Tired feeling, slow, and physically exhausted. Your entire body can feel heavy, and even small tasks become exhausting or take more time than they used to.
- Reckless behavior. Your behavior escapist, such as drug abuse, a gambling addiction, reckless driving, or dangerous sports.
- Self-hatred. Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You criticize yourself for perceived mistakes and faults.
- Memory issues: your memory works more slowly and you start to get annoyed by not being able to remember things.
- Concentration problems. Trouble focusing, taking decisions, or remembering things.
- Inexplicable pains. An increase of physical complaints such as headache, back ache, muscular ache, and stomach ache.
Depression test Would you like to know if you are depressed? Then take the free online depression test here!